Our research interests are in the interdisciplinary areas of materials, analytical, electrochemistry, catalysis, and emerging nanotechnology fields. The overall direction is the design, fabrication, characterization, and application of novel nanostructured materials and strategies for addressing challenging issues in chemical/biological sensors, catalysis, biomedical devices, and energy and environment. Our current research explores both fundamental and applied aspects in this general direction. The most recent projects explore molecularly-engineered nanomaterials with novel sensing, catalytic, optical, magnetic, and electronic functions, and probe the mechanistic details of chemistry and biochemistry at surfaces and interfaces.
One example of our approaches involves exploration of core-shell nanoparticles as building blocks towards functional nanostructures. The manipulation of size, shape, surface and interparticle spatial properties leads to novel chemical/biological functions, e.g., catalysts, sensors, and bio-probes for specific binding events of proteins, DNAs, and amino acids. The fundamental understanding of the interfacial phenomena and nanoscale chemistry at the molecular level has not only led us to the development of a number of important technologies in design and fabrication of nanoparticles and nanomaterials, but also the exploration of their industrial applications in microsensor technology, fuel cell technology and biomedical probes.
- W. Zhao, T. Rovere, D. Weerawarne, G. Osterhoudt, N. Kang, P. Joseph, J. Luo, B. Shim, M. Poliks, C.J. Zhong, "Nanoalloy Printed and Pulse-Laser Sintered Flexible Sensor Devices with Enhanced Stability and Materials Compatibility", ACS Nano, 2015, 9, 6168-6177.
- W. Zhao, J. Luo, S. Shan, J. P. Lombardi, Y. Xu, K. Cartwright, S. Lu, M. Poliks, C.J. Zhong, "Nanoparticle-Structured Highly Sensitive and Anisotropic Gauge Sensors", Small, 2015, in press.(DOI: 10.1002/smll.201500768)
- Skeete, Z.; Cheng, H.W.; Crew, E.; Lin, L.; Shan, S.; Zhao, W.; Joseph, P.; Cronk, H.; Luo, J.; Li, Y.J.; Zhang, Q.; Zhong, C.J., "Design of Functional Nanoparticles and Assemblies for Theranostic Applications", ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 2014, 6, 21752-21768.
- Cheng, H.W.; Luo, J.; Zhong, C.J., " An aggregative growth process for controlling size, shape and composition of metal, alloy and core-shell nanoparticles toward desired bioapplications", J. Mater. Chem. B, 2014, 2, 6904-6916.
- S. Shan, V. Petkov, L. Yang, J. Luo, P. Joseph , D. Mayzel, B. Prasai, L. Wang, M. Engelhard, C. J.Zhong, "Atomic-Structural Synergy for Catalytic CO Oxidation over Palladium-Nickel Nanoalloys", J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2014, 136, 7140-7151.
- S. Shan, V. Petkov, L. Yang, D. Mott, B. N. Wanjala, F. Cai, B.H. Chen, J. Luo, C.J. Zhong, "Oxophilicity and Structural Integrity in Maneuvering Surface Oxygenated Species on Nanoalloys in CO Oxidation", ACS Catal., 2013, 3, 3075-3085.
- L.Q. Lin, E. Crew, H. Yan, S. Shan, Z. Skeete, D. Mott, T. Krentsel, J. Yin, N.A. Chernova, J.Luo, M.H. Engelhard, C. Wang, Q.B. Li, C.J. Zhong, "Bifunctional Nanoparticles for SERS Monitoring and Magnetic Intervention of Assembly and Enzyme Cutting of DNAs", J. Mater. Chem. B, 2013, 1, 4320-4330.
- L. Yang, S. Shan, R. Loukrakpam, V. Petkov, Y. Ren, B. Wanjala, M. Engelhard, J. Luo, J. Yin, Y. Chen, C.J. Zhong, "Role of support-nanoalloy interactions in the atomic-scale structural and chemical ordering for tuning catalytic sites", J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2012, 134, 15048-15060.
- V. Petkov, B. N. Wanjala, R. Loukrakpam, J. Luo, L. Yang, C.J. Zhong, S. Shastri, "Pt-Au Alloying at the Nanoscale", Nano Letts., 2012, 12, 4289-4299.
- Wanjala, B; Fang, B; Loukrakpam, R; Chen, Y; Engelhard, M; Luo, J; Yin, J; Yang, L; Shan, S; Zhong, C.J. "Role of Metal Coordination Structures in Enhancement of Electrocatalytic Activity of Ternary Nanoalloys for Oxygen Reduction Reaction", ACS Catalysis, 2012, 2, 795-806.
- E. Crew, M.A. Tessel, S. Rahman, A. Razzak-Jaffar, D. Mott, M. Kamundi, G. Yu, N. Tchah, J. Lee, M. Bellavia, C. J.Zhong, "MicroRNA Conjugated Gold Nanoparticles and Cell Transfection", Anal. Chem., 2012, 34, 26-29.
- B. Wanjala, B. Fang, J. Luo, Y. Chen, J. Yin, M. Engelhard, R. Loukrakpam, C.J. Zhong, "Correlation between Atomic Coordination Structure and Enhanced Electrocatalytic Activity for Trimetallic Alloy Catalysts", J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2011, 133, 12714-12727.
- J. Yin, P. Hu, J. Luo, L. Wang, M. F. Cohen, C. J. Zhong, "Molecularly-Mediated Thin Film Assembly of Nanoparticles on Flexible Devices: Electrical Conductivity vs. Device Strains in Different Gas/Vapor Environment", ACS Nano, 2011, 5, 6516-6526.
- L. Wang, X. Wang, J. Luo, B.N. Wanjala, C. Wang, N. Chernova, M. H. Engelhard, I.-T. Bae, Y. Liu, C. J. Zhong. "Core-Shell Structured Ternary Magnetic Nanocubes", J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2010, 132, 17686-17689.
- S. Lim, C.J. Zhong, "Molecularly-Mediated Processing and Assembly of Nanoparticles: Exploring the Interparticle Interactions and Structures", Acc. Chem. Res., 2009, 42, 798-808.
- For year-by-year list of publications, please see "Publications" in http://chemiris.chem.binghamton.edu/ZHONG/zhong1.htm